University Grand Commission,
National Eligibility Test,
TNPSC(Tamilnadu Public Service Commission),
Hypothesis is usually considered as the principal instrument in research. Its main function is to suggest new experiments and observations.
Hypotheses is generally defined as “an assumption or some supposition to be proved or disproved”. But for a researcher hypotheses is a formal question that he intends to resolve. Goode and Hatt have defined Hypothesis as a” proposition which can be put to test to determine validity”
· It provides direction to research and prevent collection of irrelevant data.
· It enables the investigator to classify the information.
· It ensures the collection of data necessary to study the problem.
· Hypothesis should be clear and precise
· Hypothesis should be capable of being tested
· Hypothesis should state relationship between variables, it if e
· Hypothesis should be limited in scope and specific.
· Hypothesis should activated be simple in terms, so that it is easily understandable by all the concerned.
· Hypothesis should be in consistent with most known facts.
· Hypothesis should be amendable to testing with a reasonable time.
· Hypothesis must explain the facts given to the need for explanation.
· To test theory
· To suggest theories
· To describe social phenomena
· Correlative Hypothesis: Correlative hypothesis is statement of relationship between two concepts. For example there is a relationship between age and political awareness.
· Null Hypothesis:A null hypothesis states that there is no significant difference between two parameters. Parameter refers to the population value referred from ample value.
· Alternative Hypothesis: An alternative hypothesis states that there is a significant difference between two parameters.
DIFFICULTIES IN FORMULATION OF HYPOTHESIS
· Lack of clear theoretical background:Hypothesis do not have a clear cut and definite theoretical background. Because of this weakness it is not easy to arrive at certain conclusions.
· Lack of Logical Background:it also lacks the logical use of the theoretical background.
· Lack of knowledge of Scientific Methods:It is always not possible to have complete information of and acquaintance with the scientific methods of formulation of hypothesis. This lack of scientific knowledge presents difficulty in formulation of hypothesis.